Google+ Beverly Is Yarn Crazy!: Sock it to me...

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Sock it to me...

The book I have been waiting for finally arrived Saturday, from Crafters Choice, "Knitting Circles Around Socks" by Antje Gillingham. I have wanted to learn the technique of knitting 2 socks at once on circular needles because I love to make the first sock, but I want to move onto something else before I get to the second sock. Also, I hate to count rows on my socks, so they never turn out exactly the same length. This book takes care of both of those issues.


Coincidentally, some of my siblings families were camping this weekend near a wonderful shop called The Fabric Garden, in Madison, Maine. This meant that I could shop and visit in the same trip! I got some lovely sock yarns and more needles. Since I rarely get to shop any place but the net, it was a real treat to pet the yarn and gaze at the fantastic colorways. All too soon my arthritic hips insisted that I leave. The best part of the trip to the Fabric Garden was that my sisters-in-law were with me sharing the experience. One purchased quilting supplies and the other purchased both yarn and quilting supplies.


As soon as I got to the campground with my treasures, I pulled out my tools. The sister-in-law who knits was working on entrelac and had come upon a spot in the directions which she didn't understand. I had never done any entrelac but between the two of us we worked it out so she could continue and then I proceeded to cast on for 2 socks on circulars. It was a difficult start as we had lots of interruptions from kids and food.


By the time I got home, later that evening, I could hardly walk, even with the aid of my walker. Also, my knuckles had swollen up. So, I have only been able to knit a few rows at a time on these socks, but I can already see that this will be the only way that I knit socks in the future. Here is a picture of my the socks so far. I will post another picture when they are completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to my crafty little world!

Share This

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails